Monday, March 24, 2014

Soda balsting and molasses baths

An old trick from hot rodders is to soak your metal/engine parts in a mix of 9 part water and 1 part molasses to take off the grit and the rust with little to no effort. Well it works indeed, the molasses bond with the rust releasing sulfuric acid and the parts come out clean. I have been soaking a few parts for a week now and I am amazed. The air box, for example, was dark red it was covered with so much rust. I just checked it today and it is almost metal gray, most of the rust was eaten away by the bath. Love it.
before soda blasting
after soda blasting. Still need some work but it is clean
Today I have also started soda blasting some of the engine parts like the push-rods and the heads. They just have crud and some surface rust so soda blasting works great. Here some before and after photos, enjoy. More soon, I just cracked the engine open, stay tuned!


this is the inside of the engine, I guess if you have spider web it is truly a barn find? Ugh. Poor thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment